Welcome to "用中文说", let's learn some new phrases in Chinese now!
1. Hung out to dry
Xīshēng (tārén) dǐngzuì
【解释】 Abandon someone to danger, to get someone into trouble, especially by making them take the blame for a bad situation.
- The President hung one of his generals out to dry after a scandal.
Chǒuwén zhīhòu, zǒngtǒng ràng jiāngjūnmen dǐngzuì.
- His little brother was always the one hung out to dry whenever Tom had trouble in school.
Měi yīcì Tāngmǔ zài xuéxiào yù dào máfan, dōu shì tā dìdì lái dǐngzuì.
2. Between a rock and a hard place
Zuǒyòu wéinán, jìntuìliǎngnán
【解释】 When you are between two unpleasant options. It is very similar to the idiom "Out of the fire and into the frying pan."
- For generations, Chinese men are caught between a rock and a hard place when asked by their wives, "Whom you are going to save, me or your mother, when both of us are
Jǐ bèi zhōngguó nánrén zài qīzi wèn tāmen “diào hé lǐ xiàn jiù wǒ háishì nǐ mā” de wèntí shì dōu zuǒyòu wéinán.
- The crew of Apollo 13 were caught between a rock and a hard place.
Ābōluó 13 hào de tuánduì chéngyuánmen xiànrùle jìntuìliǎngnán de jìngdì.